Friday, September 26, 2008

Matthew and I decided rent some bicycles last Saturday afternoon and try to explore the island. We figured out the price was 5 Yuan per hour, per bicycle, with a 200 Yuan deposit each. We started to ride down the island ring road, which follows the coast. We later decided that it would be good to turn around and go explore downtown for a bit. On our way there, the chain on my bicycle broke, debilitating the machine. We were close to the rental store and managed to walk the bike there. They fixed the chain, and we were on our way again. After exploring downtown for a few hours, during which we stumbled onto Sun Yat Sen Park...super cool, we realized that we were lost, it was getting dark, and we didn’t know when the rental shop closed. We needed to get a taxi. After no driver would take two people and both of their bicycles, we each got a cab. The driver was rather rough with my rental transportation, forcing it into the trunk. After we arrived and the taxi left, I noticed that the “derailer” of the chain had completely broken off of the frame and was dangling, helplessly.

I carried the bike to the store front, and, for the second time today, pointed at the mishap. He halfway concealed a concerned look, and began working on the bike. It took several minutes to fix, and I was sure they would not be as forgiving the second time around. The woman asked for 35 Yuan, and I began asking how much the repair fee would be. This took quite some time, and I began to get frustrated by the fact that she wasn’t even beginning to understand what I was asking her, even with my seemingly obvious hand motions. I eventually asked for a pen to attempt to write the price down. She brought back one and also their business card, circling the phone number. She wasn’t trying to charge me any more but was only eager to get our business again.

I was getting upset at my lack of being able to communicate such a simple topic, while I couldn’t understand what she was trying to convey either. It was such a surprise to not be charged extra for breaking their bike... twice. Also, they allowed me to wash my bike-greased hands in their personal bathroom, which was above and beyond what I expected from them. Even though I am a foreigner, who is often treater better than locals, I have been completely blown away by the hospitality of the people here. It has been very refreshing to begin to feel exposed to this culture. I think about my first China trip so often, and it was only for three weeks. I am positive that this semester will change my outlook on how i view other people as it already has. It is always a good thing to take a step back from things and put yourself in different and bending ways. These frustrating circumstances and ocurrances don't make you act a certain way, they just reveal what you really are like. Its uncomfortable to be confronted with buried aspects of yourself, but its good also.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Park,
Thank you for your story and reflections - they've made me think a little more carefully about a few things that occurred to me today! Funny how such meaningful lessons can occur in the most unexpected places.

Dad

lynn said...

Your explored of island's plan unsuccessful becuse of the bicycle mishap; now your chinese semester were overed what outlook has changed