Thursday, October 23, 2008

China.

So... I'm in Xiamen, China.

And I'm enjoying my trip more and more with each passing day. I miss you all back at home, and look foward to seeing you when I get back, but I really am loving it here.

There's things that you can only learn by getting away: seeing and thinking about issues from an outsider's perspective allows you to become so much more aware of your own biases and inconsistancies in your thoughts, beliefs, and motives.

China is a perplexing place, And i won't understand it all by the time i get back. This was my goal before coming here for the semester: to see and understand this place that is becoming more and more involved in everyone's lives.

What is happening, however, is that i'm becoming more aware of the mystery and complexities that is China. In the same breath, i'm realizing issues that i never had before. I'm starting to develop a mindset that will hopefully shape my thoughts in a global perspective rather than an American or even Western one.

And this is my goal now. To begin to become aware. To realize that this step will last the remainder of my life. To allow Truth to transform me.

And i think i'm ready.

3 comments:

KaitHudson said...

I really enjoyed this post - You may have seen this quote (as I put it up earlier), but when our group watched Dan in Real Life...even though it was a comedy, one line really stuck out. "When it comes to planning for our future...maybe we should plan to be surprised." I too am realizing my ideas and goals for this trip are not what I expected. I wonder if we can ever really 'plan things out'. I pray your new goal is one that you find yourself accomplishing while simultaneously being led down paths you least expected or 'planned' for. Over time, it will be neat learning and hearing of your experiences. Blessings & Prayers - Kt

Unknown said...

I think your ready too! - Dad

lynn said...

now you leave china